Happy birthday to meeee! I am 26 today. It has been a great and jumpy ride up to here. I am scheduling this ahead of time because I took a day off on my birthday to just loaf, and that is exactly what I am hoping. Past-Me is hoping future-me had a great weekend and a great party and that no one embarrassed themselves – okay, I’m kidding, that always makes for some great stories. So today, in commemoration of me being really adulty, here are 26 life lessons that I’ve accumulated in my 26 years (I really hope I get to 26 here!)
- It is okay to have a small amount of real friends. In my very early twenties I had this insane drive to be at every party and be liked by everybody. It is impossible. To have people in your life that you can recount past stories with is a priceless gift.
- It is okay to delete someone from your social media accounts. I did this on Facebook last week, a person I’ve been keeping on out of pity – it is not worth it. Said person irritated me enough eventually that I just deleted her.
- Sugar is Satan. Sorry, guys. I love chocolate as much as everybody but I’ve realized that it is the silent killer. I always feel good when I don’t ingest copious amounts of sugar and always feel sick when I eat a sugary thing again.
- It’s okay to be single and secretly prefer it. Okay, I am very vocal about it. I’ve literally become one of those people who say things like: “You are going to be pretty amazing to change my relationship status” Yeah. I’m that one now.
- That said, I will tell you my tales about online dating soon. It is priceless.
- Get a cover for your phone. We aren’t dealing with our Nokia 3310s anymore, and your phone needs a cover.
- Family and friends are worth more than money and objects. I’ve seen this in the past year. When you are dying, you do not want anything fancy. You want your family by your side.
- It is possible to grieve and keep on living
- It’s not going to kill you to be a bit healthier. It might even make you live longer
- Keep a pair of flat shoes with you for when you have a busy day and are wearing heels
- You can say NO. It will shock people shitless because they expect to hear yes to everything, but you can and must say it if you feel the need.
- You can lose your temper, but don’t be a prick about it. I have a pretty explosive temper, and it is only in the last couple of months that I’ve learnt to keep it contained – even when people thoroughly deserves a talking to.
- Happiness isn’t things, it’s a state of mind. This one is especially hard, to be constantly in a state of content. Life is very rarely fair and it sucks a lot of the time, so you have to find the happy in situations where you would usually have a breakdown in.
- A calm person saves the situation. Don’t. Freak. Out.
- If you are entering a new environment, make sure your clothes are comfortable. It will make the situation that much less stressful.
- Coke Zero tastes like soapy water. I can drink Coke Light, I can drink Tab, I can drink Fanta and Sprite Zero. But DO NOT come close to me with your demonic Coke Zero. Eugh.
- Drive offensively, not defensively
- Block-out curtains are the answer to the universe
- When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
- Do whatever the fuck you want. Seriously. People are going to judge you whether you do what they want you to or if you take your own route in life.
- A bottle of water, a tube of hand cream and a tweezer are essential things to always have with you.
- You have to sometimes remind yourself to not be self-destructive.
- Never teach your mother to tag people on Facebook. You will never forgive yourself.
- It is okay to know what you want and not lower your standards.
- As you grow older you will become addicted to hand cream. And naps.
- Most things are only scary the first time around.
Well, there you have it. I’m very impressed that I actually got to 26 relatively easy!
Happy birthday Natasha, hope you have a wonderful day.
Happy Birthdayyy!!!! 😀 I wish you all the best and hope you had a great time celebrating.
Yes girl yes! I loved all of these and the older I get the more I’m learning many of the same life lessons. I’m new to the blogging world and I’m so happy to have found your blog, it’s witty and insightful! Happy Birthday! 🙂
Thank you! Welcome to the blogging world! 🙂
Happy Birthday!!! I absolutely love your facts! 😀
Thank you and thank you! 😀
Happy birthday. Cake, champagne and barbershop quartet heading your way. Wise words 🙂 Your dating life sounds super entertaining. My favourite was this one
“It’s not going to kill you to be a bit healthier. It might even make you live longer”
Thanks Alex! It is right now, it is 🙂
Happy Birthday Natasha! What a wonderful list of things to sort through here. 7, 8, 9 and 22 speak the loudest to me. Words of wisdom, right there.
Happy B-day Nat! …. and many many more
LOve ur life lessons, they are all so true. Love #20 the most!
Mah bestie, I know you had a great day, and thank you for this great entertainment this morning, I absolutely love the list!
This is amazing. Hope you had a great birthday Natasha!
All these are great pieces of advice. Not sure I would have reasoned these things at 26!